Monday, July 26, 2010

What will happen when i visit a dermatologist for skin exam?

i have been referred by my doctor as i have lots of moles, is this something to worry about and what will actually happen, i live in england thanks.What will happen when i visit a dermatologist for skin exam?
All of it depends on what doctor you have, but my mother had many moles and had to see dermatologists often.





The doctor will probably start with asking questions and writing a few things down. He or she will then want to see the moles and will continue asking questions like ';Do they hurt?'; and ';How long have you had this one?';





He or she will probably review the chances of cancer or lack thereof. Some moles can turn cancerous, but it's fairly rare and your doctor will be able to tell. If the doctor doesn't say anything, but you want to know - ASK!





If you or the doctor think the moles should be removed, the two of you will have to discuss how to get them removed. Most of the time they're frozen and then taken off - although I have a sister who had one on her bum and they numbed it and then ';scraped'; it off. In both my mother's and sister's cases, both said the process to actually get the moles removed didn't hurt, but after the freezing and numbing wore off, they hurt for a day to a week or so depending on the area.





I know you might be nervous and that's very understandable - I'm sure your doctor will understand as well.What will happen when i visit a dermatologist for skin exam?
I live in the US but I am assuming the basic procedure is more or less the same.





I have a great doctor and she takes really good care of me and my family.





First I go into the exam room and I tell the nurse why I am there and point out anything particularly that I am concerned about.





She will leave the room briefly and I undress completely, sometimes they give me a gown to drape across my waist, other times I keep on my briefs.





Then I lay down on my back and the doctor goes over my entire body with the nurse. She will pull down my briefs and examine my penis and testicles and the skin around them.





Then I turn over and she and the nurse repeats the process examining my buttocks and even between my toes and the bottom of my feet.





Any problem is noted and either removed or an appointment is made for me to come back for it to be removed by surgery.





It isn't that big a deal. She has found several squamous and one basal cancer, along with numerous SK (or precancerous). My modesty, such as it is, is respected and I am never made to feel uncomfortable. It isn't something I look forward to but it isn't to be dreaded either. Sorta like going to get a haircut. It is inconvenient but that is about all.
If it's like the USA then they will just quickly look over all of your body. I had a spot and it was precancerous so now I have to go every three months for a body check.





They just look at your entire body ( not your genitals) unless you ask. If you are a girl they will look at your breasts.





If something look suspicious they will take a piece of the spot and send it for a biopsy. If it comes back positive for cancer or precancer then you will see a plastic surgeon for removal of that area.
Dont stress too much...





At worst they will take a few samples, moles being growths have little to no feeling... try pinching one... I had one removed it didnt hurt at all.





It will most likely just be a check up and consultation.
you'll prolly get examed

No comments:

Post a Comment