Monday, August 23, 2010

Is it common for a dermatologist to not be available after hours?

I was being treated for a staph infection above my eyelid and was on my last day of antibiotics (on a thursday) so I called her office and they said she was out until Monday. The infection was still present and I wasn't sure if I needed to continue on antibiotics or what.





The receptionist said she didn't take calls after hours because she was a dermatologist and her patients didn't have emergencies so no one was on call for her either.





Should I find a new doctor?Is it common for a dermatologist to not be available after hours?
Antibiotics are still working in the body even after you've completed the medication; has the condition at least improved?





The receptionist is correct, dermatologic conditions are not emergencies that require immediate care. If you are that concerned, go to the Emergency Room or call your Ophthalmologist.








鈥?ADDENDUM 鈥?br>




My son had cellulitis near his eye, and our primary Dr. gave him an antibiotic shot in his @$$, plus a prescription for oral antibiotics; and then referred us to our ophthalmologist for follow-up. I still don't understand why you are seeing a dermatologist for an eye infection.





Even for plastic surgery, the Drs. are on-call for emergencies such as facial injuries that require stitching or reconstruction. After surgery, you should be on antibiotics as a preventative; and again, it is unlikely that you would have a life-or-death emergency following that. The same for skin cancer -- it is an ongoing treatment that takes time.





If you really feel that your condition will result in loss of the eye or your life before Monday, then go to the Emergency Room and have them call your Dermatologist.Is it common for a dermatologist to not be available after hours?
I see (pun intended - LOL!); and again, if your infection crossed to the bloodstream, it would no longer be a dermatologic issue and she'd refer you to the E.R. for prompt treatment. I hope you are recovering nicely - take care! Report Abuse

I would find a different doctor, one that does have patients with emergencies so she is available at off hours.
IT'S OUR FATE TO WAIT FOR THESE doctors
I would find a new doctor.
yaa u have too

No comments:

Post a Comment